Which fruits stay fresh without refrigeration?
These foods are not refrigerated
The groceries you buy should stay fresh and crisp. But before they are eaten, they first go into the freezer or refrigerator. An uninterrupted cold chain is important for fish, meat, frozen and various dairy products in order to be able to guarantee a certain shelf life. Here you can see which foods have no place in the chilled state!
After shopping, they should Food can be kept for as long as possible be. The bought Food is placed in the refrigerator, because you don't want to eat them all at once, let alone eat all of them in just a few days. Nevertheless, fruit and vegetables in particular should stay fresh and crisp for a long time. But how is that possible? Which foods can you store in a cool place without any problems and which foods have no place in cool storage areas? We'll show you here!
This fruit is sensitive to cold and loses its taste when refrigerated
- Apples are very sensitive to the cold; the cold makes them lose their taste. If you keep them unrefrigerated, they will stay fresh for up to a week or two.
- The sooner berries are eaten, the better they taste. They develop their taste best at room temperature. If you want to keep the berries fresh for longer, freeze them. However, remember to wash the berries afterwards before consuming them.
- Peaches, nectarines, plums, and apricots are also best aged and stored at room temperature. As soon as they are ripe, you can store them in the refrigerator in the fruit compartment or eat them. Bear in mind that the fruit will lose some of its taste due to the cool temperature in the refrigerator.
- Bananas become mushy and brown in cold temperatures, they are also sensitive to the cold. Better store them dry and, if necessary, in the basement. Storing bananas with apples and tomatoes will accelerate the ripening of the bananas.
- Exotic fruits such as pineapples, mangos, papayas and pomegranates also do not tolerate cold, they are used to warm temperatures and can therefore be better stored at room temperature in order to ripen.
- Melons are best stored at room temperature. If you've already cut something off the melon, you can keep it fresh in the refrigerator for a day or two.
- Because of the cold, unripe avocados take longer to ripen, so place them in a fruit bowl on the table. If you want them to ripen faster, put them in a bag with an apple. If, on the other hand, the avocados are already ripe, you can reduce the further ripening process by storing them in the refrigerator and consuming them within three days at the latest. If you have already cut an avocado, you can sprinkle a little lemon juice on it to prevent the fruit from browning.
- Citrus fruits such as lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruits and mandarins cannot tolerate cold. It is best to place them open on a bowl, they are used to warm temperatures. If the fruits have already been cut open, the cut surfaces dry out slightly to protect themselves from mold. When cut, they can usually be kept for up to a week.
These vegetables cannot withstand the cold
- Tomatoes and other watery vegetables such as cucumbers, peppers, courgettes and eggplants are probably the best-known examples of vegetables that have no place in the refrigerator. They quickly lose their taste and texture when stored in a refrigerator. Therefore, put the tomatoes on a plate or in a bowl. If, on the other hand, you want the tomatoes to ripen faster, leave them in a bag in your apartment. Overripe tomatoes are great for cooking.
- Acorn, spaghetti and butternut squash can last up to a month as long as they are not refrigerated.
- Onions mold faster in the refrigerator and become soft. It is better to store them in a dark, ventilated place, where no potatoes are stored either, otherwise they will go bad faster. Cut onions, on the other hand, can be packed in the refrigerator for two or three days.
- Garlic has a similar effect to onions; if you store it in a cool place, it will germinate and mold faster. Place it in a tall container like the onions in a dark, ventilated room.
- Potatoes lose their taste when they are refrigerated, as the starch they contain breaks down. Take them out of bags to avoid moisture and the resulting mold. Store them in a dark, well-ventilated room to make them last as long as possible.
Other foods that don't like the cold
- Strongly alcoholic drinks such as vodka and whiskey do not belong in the refrigerator, unopened they last practically forever and even open, you can easily store them in a dark place until the aroma and alcohol evaporate, it takes time.
- Vegetable oils such as olive oil change their texture when they are cooled; they become hard, thick and fluffy like butter. Only nut oil such as walnut oil should be stored in a cool place, it is quite thin and quickly becomes inedible and rancid when it is hot.
- Hot sauces such as Tabasco often contain preservatives such as vinegar and salt; they do not need to be refrigerated even when opened. They should still be protected from direct sunlight.
- The cold hardens honey and begins to crystallize. Always keep the honey jar closed and put it in a dark, cool place.
- Fresh herbs like basil quickly absorb the taste of other foods when refrigerated, and not only that, they also lose their fresh, crunchy taste. It is best to put the fresh herbs in a glass with a little water.
- It's the same with coffee. It should never be stored in a cool place, because it also absorbs the taste of other foods and loses its own taste. The freshness and taste of coffee is only retained in a dark, cool room.
- Bread can be kept longer by freezing it and only letting it thaw just before consumption. It will get dry in the refrigerator. Store it in a bread box and consume it after a maximum of four days.
- What is the current art movement
- Normal soap is bad for dogs
- What are old jazz music
- What is RM from BTS's IQ
- Which is better architecture or technology
- Fought Joe Rogan against MMA
- How do you look for bank notes
- What is the best video conferencing solution
- Are related to Gretchen Carlson and Tucker Carlson
- Which functions are missing in Bloomberg Terminals
- What is Calculus 4
- What is the ultimate goal of reality
- What are some great WhatsApp profile pictures
- What do you like about weighted blankets
- How do you buy wedding rings
- What the hell would be for Seth Rollins
- How much does a Google Director earn
- When and why do we work hard
- The US has diamond mines
- Why are there seat belts on airplanes
- Why did India turn to the ICAO
- Why are Indian Punjabis so anti-Pakistani
- Is pregnancy pain like menstrual cramps
- Are chemical cleaning chemicals flammable?