What is semantic HTML
The icing on the cake for accessibility published in 2010
Use HTML semantically correctly
At the technical level, a valid document is a quality feature. Using HTML validators to check the technical substructure of an HTML document can reveal some errors that affect technical accessibility. At the same time, a valid document allows only very limited statements about accessibility.
In addition to defining the correct syntax, the definition of HTML also includes the Semantics of individual elements and the correct use of attributes are described. It is only when these requirements are taken into account that the access software, including tools, prepare the content in the way the specification provides.
First of all, it is important that HTML elements and attributes are used according to their purpose, because it is not only about the display of content on the screen, but also about the semantics in the source code. Whether the Document Object Model (DOM) or the interfaces for tools, it is always important that the values, statuses and roles of the content can be technically determined.
The meaning of individual HTML elements is described in the HTML specifications. The described semantics are mostly irrelevant for the visual presentation, because the "semantics" of individual elements are conveyed by numerous other properties, such as color, font size or the positioning of content. Semantics become particularly important when software analyzes the HTML and creates a user interface on the database, for example with screen readers, magnification systems or various input devices:
- Although it sometimes seems easy to indent text using an element (most browsers indent that element), this indentation is not necessarily a quotation. An incorrect data structure is transmitted and in this case screen readers announce a quote, which is not. Of course, the same applies to the and elements, which should also not be used for indentation.
The Use of standardized interfaces is crucial for accessibility. If a checkbox is created with an element, the browser can identify the role (checkbox) and the status (activated or not activated) of the element and pass it on to the appropriate interfaces. If, on the other hand, the checkbox is integrated as a linked graphic, then the role of the element will be a link. The status of such an element (conveyed by the graphic) must then be transported, for example, by alternative texts for the graphic. Such measures can of course be undertaken, but the use of standardized elements facilitates the development work and promotes accessibility considerably.
Also others Information and their relationships to one another must be taken into account in the HTML source text so that they can also be understood if the form of presentation changes. This can be reading content without CSS (e.g. with a screen reader) or displaying it with user-defined screen settings, such as your own color schemes or font styles that overwrite the specified CSS properties, or copying the content into a word processing system. The point here is that if information or a relationship between information is displayed on the screen, then this information or relationship can always be technically determined using a browser and other software. The "classic" example is the use of heading elements to mark up headings, but lists, paragraphs, links or forms must also be marked with the intended HTML elements. Correct nesting and logical relationships must not be neglected. These aspects can usually only go through practical tests and not with one Validator to be checked.
recommend by email
- Have you ever paid for a prostitute
- What's the best food in Hong Kong
- What are the best jobs in insurance
- Have respect for clever criminals
- Is GIC good for investing in IPO
- What would be considered taboo in Greece
- Design thinking changes everything
- Why are dictatorships still allowed?
- Why is Islam so racist
- What is the significance of circuits
- One-sided love is good for life
- Psychopaths experience physical attraction to others
- Why do people wear fast fashion
- What do curators do
- Why is India so against alcohol
- How is all knowledge connected?
- What was the worst recession
- A cheap CNC milling machine is worth it
- Is it possible to synthesize crude oil
- What are the nicest shoes you have
- What is your curriculum
- How is life in Surat
- Russia still tests its ICBMs on a regular basis
- Psychology What motivates a person
- How do women's jeans differ from men's jeans?
- Why is there a high level of homelessness in California?
- What is your signature fashion style
- What are the parts of a symphony
- Does conversion therapy work for homosexuals?
- Henry VIII regretted the execution of Anne Boleyn
- When did you stop being open-minded?
- Which country invests the most in the Philippines
- Where are Tintin comics most popular?
- How long did you stay in China