Japan requires a visa

Embassy of Japan in Germany
在 ド イ ツ 日本国 大使館

Entry into Japan for a temporary stay and general information

For English information please click here.


General information

German citizens do not need a visa for a tourist stay or a business trip of up to 90 days. Tourists can request an extension of their stay at a regional immigration office (入 管理局) for a further 90 days. However, the embassy cannot guarantee that the extension will be approved.

To enter Japan, it is sufficient to present the passport that is valid for the duration of the stay. Vaccinations are currently not required.

You do not need an appointment to apply for a visa. Please come to the consular department during our opening hours: Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. and 2:00 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. and Wednesday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.


Information for foreign citizens

Travelers who hold passports whose country is not on the list must apply for a visa at the relevant Japanese diplomatic mission abroad.

Temporary stays include tourist trips, business trips (e.g. participation in a conference), study trips, family visits, etc. Please contact us if you have any questions about the purpose of your trip. The visa is issued for 15, 30 or 90 days.

Visa applications for temporary stays can be applied for three months before departure.

Documents required to apply for a visa for a temporary stay in Japan:

  1. Valid passport
  2. Valid residence permit for Germany
  3. Fully completed visa application form / All citizens of the successor states of the former Soviet Union please submit two application forms.
  4. A passport photo (frontal photo, light background, no scans or copied passport photos) that is not older than 6 months and not damaged / All citizens of the successor states of the former Soviet Union please submit two passport photos.
  5. Flight reservation
  6. Hotel bookings for the duration of your stay or
  7. In the event that you are going to stay with friends / relatives: letter of invitation and letter of guarantee. We also need an employment contract or a certificate of study from the inviting party. If the inviting person is a foreigner, we need a copy of the passport (personal information page) and the page of the visa, entry and / or exit stamp for Japan. In addition, the inviting person should send you a registration as a foreigner from the citizens' office where he / she is registered. We need a registration certificate from the Japanese.
  8. Current proof of financing (salary slip, bank statement, etc.)
  9. For students: Certificate of enrollment for the current semester
  10. Travel plan

All information in this part is of a general nature. We reserve the right to request further documents even after checking your documents.



If you have any further questions, please contact us by

Email: [email protected]
Telephone: (030) 21094 0