Men should wear sunscreen
Sun protection: does a beard protect you from the sun?
Have you ever seen someone who smeared sunscreen on their hair? Sure, men who are (half) bald, of course - but otherwise it's rather unusual.
So if hair protects the scalp from the sun's rays, shouldn't that also apply to the beard? You will find the answer to this question and other tips on sun protection for men with and without a beard in this article.
First, a few basic words about sun protection. I don't have to tell you that the sun's ultraviolet rays cause sunburn. The skin literally burns and peels. UV rays can also age the skin prematurely, as shown in brown spots, less plump skin, loss of elasticity and, above all, wrinkles.
In the worst case, the sun's rays can even cause skin cancer. Therefore, you should make sure that the sun does not hit your skin unprotected.
Sun protection not only in midsummer
Although this is clear to almost everyone, many make a big mistake here. Because sun and UV rays do not mean 30 degrees and holiday weather. Even on normal days, ultraviolet rays hit your skin - even in light sunshine in spring or even when it is cloudy. So if you really want to protect your skin, you should wear sunscreen all year round, especially on your face.
But that doesn't mean that you have to smear yourself with sunscreen every day. On normal days, a day cream with UV protection or special drops that you add to your day cream are sufficient. But if the sun is stronger or you are exposed to direct sunlight for a long time, you should definitely use sunscreen with a high sun protection factor.
Sunscreen or Sun Spray?
It depends a little on how good your sun spray skills are, because most people don't spray the spray thoroughly enough. This creates holes in which the skin is not adequately protected. Sunscreen, on the other hand, is easy to apply all over the face. But make sure that you use enough cream. Too little cream also leads to unprotected areas.
When should the sunscreen be applied?
Sunscreens take a little time to work. They only develop their protection after about 30 minutes, which is why it is always best to apply cream at home and not only when you are lying in the sun.
What does the sun protection factor mean?
Any skin can be exposed to the sun for a certain period of time without being damaged. For some it is only a few seconds, for others several hours - after all, every skin is different. Sun creams extend this time by the factor of the specified sun protection. If you blush after 10 minutes without sunscreen, this time is extended to 500 minutes with a sun protection factor of 50.
Please note, however, that this time is reduced when traveling to more southern countries, as the intensity of the sun's rays is different here!
Does multiple applications of sunscreen prolong protection?
Unfortunately, this is a misconception. Repeated application does not prolong the protection, but only ensures that the protection is retained, for example after bathing. Even if the sun cream is waterproof, you should play it safe and reapply cream.
Most sunscreens contain microplastics. It ensures that the cream has a pleasant consistency and is quickly absorbed. It is true that there are now manufacturers who have formulations on the market that do not contain microplastics. You have to decide for yourself whether you can get used to the consistency and the slow absorption.
But now to the question of whether the beard protects against the sun.
Researchers from Australia have dealt with this question - a country or continent where the sun shines a lot. They have scientifically investigated whether beard hair serves as UV protection and whether beard wearers can therefore do without sunscreen without risking sunburn or even skin cancer. The result is clear at first glance. Men with beards are better protected from the sun than shaved men. The whiskers protect against the sun.
Now the big but:
Only men with a particularly thick and long beard are allowed to risk not using sunscreen. Everyone else should definitely apply lotion.
A 3-day beard or even a 10-day beard is not enough. Beards with holes or less dense areas also do not provide adequate protection. In most cases, sunscreen should therefore be used.
Tips for sun protection with a beard
- No matter how long and thick the beard is: Never only apply cream to the hairless areas, but also the beard. This supplies the hair with moisture and prevents sunburn in less dense areas and in the holes, because no matter how tiny these holes are, the UV rays always find a way through!
- Apply the cream in a circular motion. It not only gets on the beard hair, but also on the skin under the beard. For longer beards, it is also advisable to spread the cream with a brush.
- You usually shave smoothly, but you want to grow a beard when you are on vacation? Think about it carefully, because beard hairs tan the skin underneath more slowly - with the effect that you after your vacation when you are
shave again, have several shades of brown on your face.
- Therefore, always cut your contours exactly and don't forget to take a razor with you on vacation!
- After sunbathing, not only does the skin need moisture, but also the beard, otherwise it becomes brittle, dull and weak! Therefore, always apply some moisturizing cream, balm or beard oil to your beard in the evening.
- When did Europe outperform Asia technologically?
- What is biodegradable plastic
- What are the different types of arrests
- Which foods are naturally gluten-free?
- How does a business lawyer help society
- What are former Canadian Prime Ministers doing
- Which organs are affected by sepsis
- Box seats are good
- What is the treatment for glaucoma Ayurveda
- What does physiological mean
- But how do you say in Portuguese
- The blind see their dreams
- How financially sustainable is the NHS
- Girls always test boys
- Where can I get the best women's watches
- How many Japanese Americans fought in World War II
- Why is there terrorism 2
- Why are young people not taken seriously?
- Is there an anti-Corbyn propaganda campaign
- OCD is a communicable disorder
- Where and how to learn python
- How do you see Brexit
- How do I employ students
- Who is the richest man in Chennai