Which countries have colonized Germany?
Hanisauland: Lexicon @todo: from Preprocess
Colonialism / colonies
Subjugation of other countries
Over the past 200 years, many European states have subjugated countries in other parts of the world. These countries could not defend themselves against the overwhelming power of the Europeans and became so-called colonies. This policy of conquest is known as "colonialism". The term comes from the Latin word "colonia", which means "settlement outside the Roman citizen area".
Exploitation of the colonies
The countries were often only subjugated because the conquerors wanted to have the treasures of the foreign countries for themselves. It could be gold or diamonds. Spices, tea, coffee, tobacco or fruit were also bought for little money in foreign countries and then sold for a lot of money in their home countries.
The first colonies were conquered by the great seafaring nations Great Britain, Spain, Portugal, France and the Netherlands. Germany, which was not one of the great seafaring nations, had few colonies in Africa and Asia for a short time (until the end of the First World War). Spain, on the other hand, had large colonies in Central and South America and England in Asia and the Middle East. The colonies were administered by German, French, English and Spanish officials.
Consequences of colonialism
The people who lived in the colonies were subject to foreign rulers and often had no rights of their own. Until the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, more than half of all people in the world lived in colonies. Only after the end of the Second World War in 1945 did the European states gradually give up their colonies again, so that these countries became independent. Many of them still suffer from the fact that they were ruled by foreign states for so long.
FAQ / Frequently Asked Questions
(Frequently Asked Questions - this is the English translation of "frequently asked questions")
your further questions ...
Write us your question
Before asking a question, please read the lexicon article completely. Please see if anyone has already asked the same question. Often you will find the answer to your question there.write us
- Why is the weekend famous
- My male co-worker likes me
- Is climate change a political agenda
- Hydrogen peroxide should be used as a mouthwash
- How do crystals work
- What screams I'm from Bangalore
- How much should an architect designer charge
- How do I cut a mango
- What are some interchange points in Dubai
- How was Lord Rama as a brother
- Will Messi ever leave Barcelona?
- Why is Netflix banned in India
- Was it God who made the earth?
- How can I renounce my Australian citizenship
- What shouldn't be considered normal
- How does nursing become a professional qualification
- How do I swear in British English
- What is the theory behind Apple Siri
- How do you say heard in Tagalog
- How do I learn Buddhist meditation
- How rich is Balaji Viswanathan
- Choice of family health insurance
- How does a mechanical mouse work
- Australia is an egalitarian society
- What is a reason to live
- Can a somatic narcissist be asexual?
- Changes human nature
- Is it possible to live from 13 a day
- How much agriculture does the US export
- Who is Major Dhyan Chand
- Which medical journal publishes articles for free
- How smart is society
- Why is AUTOSAR required
- Why do people get strong in prison?