Underwater welding is boring
How can I incorporate magic into my world while avoiding a world dominated by magic? [closed]
The answers here are great. So far we've been boring, tough, and expensive. I can still think of a few more possibilities.
Make it dangerous or painful (or both). If the use of magic risks or causes self-harm or even death, few would want to try. Indeed, many may fear for those who did it. When found useful enough magic can become a regulated profession, such as a doctor, lawyer, or other certified occupation such as an underwater welder. If it wasn't deemed useful, or if the cost of its usefulness was too high, it can simply be banned (although I'm sure some would practice it underground). This could mix the will with it being boring too, that is, with a lot of boring practice it could become less painful / dangerous.
Teens can try the less risky forms (because they tend to make less informed decisions), but if it was painful (even mild) or injured injuries were frequent enough, it would get old very quickly. Even if it wasn't illegal, most parents would want to put an end to it.
The interesting nuance would be that different governments / jurisdictions would have different opinions on how to regulate them.
- Is the Rotterdam School of Business good
- How do I live at my age
- Why are democratic socialists called progressives
- What are your favorite photos
- How to use soldering flux
- What are the tightening mistakes that people make
- Can I get a girl for sex?
- Why is Malaysia anti-hindu
- Hitler hated Indians
- Is self-expression a need or a desire
- Which wood is used for matches?
- What's wrong with American journalism 1
- Where can you find ready-made design procedures
- What do Pakistani Hindus think of India?
- Low blood pressure may cause vomiting
- How can the Indian NRI invest in the US
- What is the right amount of mistakes
- Why is WhatsApp safer than Telegram
- What are the best dress shoes for women
- Why is khatna made in Islam
- Why is August called the ghost month
- Why don't we focus on job creation?
- What is a house attorney
- What was your favorite decade and why
- Can Indians have dual citizenship
- Difference between a substructure and a superstructure
- Why is Australia called Hoju in Korean
- How can globalism and internationalism be compared?
- Why is early childhood education important
- Who should dream of becoming a billionaire?
- What is the number of the non-emergency police
- Who are the most famous WWE wrestlers
- What is something paranormal or inexplicable that you have experienced
- How much bigger is Alaska than Texas