Orthodox Christianity grows
The proportion of Orthodox Christians is decreasing worldwide, while the proportion of Catholics and Protestants is growing. That is the result of a new study. Catholicism has spread beyond Europe.
While Orthodoxy has remained largely concentrated in Europe over the past hundred years, Catholicism and Protestantism have expanded outside the continent, according to the study published by the Washington research institute Pew.
Percentages and absolute numbers
According to this, 12 percent of Christians around the world are still Orthodox today, compared with 20 percent a hundred years ago. In contrast, the proportion of Catholics among Christians worldwide rose from 47 to 50 percent between 1910 and 2010 and the proportion of Protestants - and other groups included by the Pew Institute, such as Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses - from 32 to 38 percent.
In absolute numbers, the Orthodox Christian population around the world has more than doubled in a hundred years. It is now almost 260 million - more than 100 million of them in Russia alone. Despite this increase in the absolute numbers, the proportion of Orthodox Christians in total Christianity is declining because the number of Protestants and Catholics has grown even more.
The geographical distribution of Orthodoxy has also changed significantly over the past hundred years. In 1910 the three main branches of Christianity Orthodoxy, Catholicism and Protestantism were still concentrated in Europe. Today, however, almost four out of five Orthodox Christians (77 percent) live on the "old continent".
In contrast, only about a quarter of Catholics (24 percent) and an eighth of Protestants (12 percent) still live in Europe, compared with around 65 and 52 percent respectively in 1910.
- Which are the best cbse schools in jaipur
- Which employees of the company are owners
- How many Christians have seen God
- Is my neighbor interested in me sexually?
- Why do people choose love over money
- Why don't nuns wear underpants?
- How could I get better at math?
- What gifts do girls like
- Many INTJs suffer from NPD
- Where can I buy cyanide pills
- Why is the Netflix service not available
- What are the uses of human waste
- How safe is Nagpur for women
- What are the negative effects of emigration
- Where will the next measles outbreaks be?
- Who is your double celebrity?
- What are the reasons not to travel?
- What is Preventive Detention Law
- Which is more important ideology or humanity
- Who can indict an Indian Prime Minister
- Which current F1 driver is the best
- How do I manually create backlinks
- Why do I like gay wrestling
- Is it easy to learn Romanian?