Let crying heal you
Crying - why it's good for us
Crying is uncomfortable for many people. At least in public. If our eyes become moist and we feel the well-known lump in the throat, the first instinct is often to suppress the tears.
Crying creates closeness between people
Crying is something very original and tears are an additional form of expression of emotions on a person's face. Toddlers cry to seek support from their parents, and later on, a crying person primarily evokes empathy in others. Crying in front of another person creates a new form of closeness to that person. You can look behind the hard facade and open up a little bit, free from the desire to be perfect.
Crying is healthy
But whether in company or alone, crying can be very liberating and even healthy. Those who forbid themselves to cry too often and hold back tears increase their stress level and thus favor complaints such as high blood pressure, heart disease, stomach problems, depression or anxiety.
Not all tears are created equal
It all depends on the reasons we cry. Researchers differentiate between different types of tears: reflex tears that occur, for example, when a speck of dust hits us, basal tears that naturally keep our eyes moist and clean, and emotional tears that express our mood. Each of these types of tears has a different chemical composition. Our bodies know why we are crying and respond accordingly to help us.
Crying reduces stress and keeps us balanced
Emotional tears contain a significantly higher concentration of toxic hormones that raise the stress hormone cortisol in the body. So when you cry, stress is literally flushed out of your body. In a study, researchers also found that crying helps us maintain the natural balance of body functions.
Also read:Reduce stress - 3 psychological methods for the office and everyday life
Crying makes you happy (again)
In addition, our bodies release endorphins and some calming substances when we cry to bring our feelings back into balance. Often you feel relieved after crying, a little happier again and can think more clearly.
But don't worry, if we don't jump in the air right after shedding the tears - we need some time to recover. While the mood is often quite depressed right after crying, studies have shown that it is often even better after about 90 minutes than before you cry.
Crying is also important from a psychological point of view. Because who suppresses the tears, holds back feelings and builds them up.
It is healthy and normal to have a good cry now and then. However, if the situations increase and the tears flow more and more often for no reason, it may be advisable to consult a doctor or psychologist. This could be a sign of depression, a side effect of medication, or the like. If in doubt, go to the doctor again and get advice. You can find more information and free advice on depression at the German Depression Aid Foundation, for example.
- Should I marry for looks or for reason
- What childhood illness can cause numbness
- Will there ever be real justice?
- Cook all of the Christmas dinner
- Why is Google Chrome free
- What is important fate and work
- What are the best jewel heist movies
- What the hell would be for Seth Rollins
- Can I survive if I just have dinner?
- What are the investment opportunities in Kenya
- Enlightened people are lonely
- Are Motorola Phones Worth Buying in 2020?
- How accurate is the movie Top Gun
- How long does a US Congressman serve
- What defines moral beliefs
- Bad people can suffer
- What is grunge style
- What is gear manufacturing
- Why are counterfeit brand shoes made
- What does it mean to make money
- What do French soldiers call Napoleon?
- What is Bulgaria
- What is special about Paris France
- Why do Indonesians rarely walk
- What is your favorite pastime during Navaratri
- How do people make out at parties
- How easily cops get fired
- How can managers make effective decisions
- It pays to be a cop
- What qualities make a mother too controlling?
- What are some interchange points in Dubai
- Would make INFP good leaders
- How has technology changed road traffic