How important is personality to success
Personality & character of effective managers
Personality and character: definition and practical relevance
Core problem of personnel and managerial development
There are roughly 5,000 personality traits and traits. This raises important practical questions:
- Which of these properties should a Executive to have?
- Are personality traits at all relevant?
- Who is as a manager suitable?
- Which applicant should you hire (for example in job interview)?
- Does an applicant suit our company (Culture)?
- Which Services can be seen from this person in future expect?
The future behavior (and thus the performance) of a person is one of the most important in personnel and managerial development Success factors.
The reason: the cast is more important Positions in companies with unsuitable people is one of the largest Bad investments. There are also negative ones emotional Side effects such as frustration, more negative stress, destructive Conflicts and political (power)Fights.
To answer these questions, we need to start with a few Basic concepts and clarify.
What is "personality"?
It is scientific not yet clarified what influence Inheritance, education and Learn to have. For the Personality diagnostics it is crucial that these characteristics are observable, solidified Habits is how people respond to their in certain situations typical way react.
The fact that habits mostly deeply rooted is what makes it possible future behavior to predict. But that's only with validated test procedures possible (prognostic validity). "star sign“Are an example of Not valid personality descriptions.
The impression that such personality descriptions (see for example the DISG personality test or that Reiss profile) apparently provide correct descriptions is created by the Barnum effect.
Important for practice: differentiate between personality and competencies!
examples for Personality traits are enthusiasm, ambition, intelligence, curiosity, optimism or emotional stability /sensitivity. The special thing about it is that these properties are little or no unchangeable or are learnable.
The vernacular also says that you cannot change a person. Because of this, personality traits are for that selection of candidates for certain tasks and Positions crucial.
Against are Competencies (Skills) essential lighter changeable or learnable. Examples of competencies are:
- solve conflicts
- Set (motivating) goals
- Convince others
- building up trust
- Delegate responsibility
- give (constructive) feedback etc.
The Distinction between Competencies and Personality traits has a ethical and a economic Dimension. It cannot be a company's job to change a person's personality.
Apart from that, exist (also in the psychotherapy) no learning or influencing methods (except possibly the "Brainwashing“), With which one could change the personality with a reasonable effort.
Against are Competencies with traditional learning and training methods relatively easy to acquire. For the practice In terms of personnel and management development, this means:
- Requirement profile andPersonality profile (of the candidate) to match, i.e. to determine the “right” candidate for the “right position”.
- For the job necessary Competencies with the existing skills compare and estimate the learning and training needs.
A detailed list with the most important personality traits, competencies and values can be found under the link Strengths and weaknesses (Download PDF).
The combination of personality traits, competencies and values that is necessary to implement the goals of the organization is decisive for entrepreneurial success.
More tips for managers
- How strong is the South Korean military
- Canada gives money to the queen
- What is the separation of concrete
- What are some song lyrics that are often misinterpreted
- School teachers look for classroom ideas
- What are Balaji Viswanathan's views on Islam
- Was Jesus an Ashkenazi Jew
- What makes interpersonal relationships disappear
- Why is Gotham City always dark
- Is my neighbor interested in me sexually?
- A low-calorie diet can lead to depression
- How do I make deep friendships
- How does the French government work
- It's fun to be flogged
- Physics moments are equal math moments Why
- Has RSS helped Pakistan flood
- Why are ambulances white with red lights
- Is water a mineral
- How much exercise do pit bulls need
- Diamond cannot be redeemed
- Australia is a colony of England
- How do I get a US scholarship
- What is the migration process
- Ashley Moebel is a nationwide brand