Why does some silver tarnish faster?
health : Why does silver tarnish?
Anyone who collects coins knows the difference: gold coins stay metallically pure even after a long time, silver coins discolour. In favorable cases, a patina forms on it, which emphasizes the age of the coins. Often, however, there are less beautiful changes that diminish their value.
"The tarnishing of silver is not an unusual property of metals," says Robert Schlögl, director at the Fritz Haber Institute in Berlin. There are hardly any metals that do not corrode. Steel is no exception. "Most of the time, the corrosion layer is so thin that you can't see it."
Precious metals such as gold or silver should not show any age spots. After all, they are called “noble” because they react little or no reaction with other substances, especially not with the oxygen in the air.
Oxygen has a special chemical structure. The element likes to grab foreign electrons and thus fills its outer electron shell. Oxygen therefore particularly likes to combine with substances that are ready to give up electrons because they have an insufficiently populated outer electron shell. Magnesium reacts violently with oxygen, iron rusts, especially in a damp environment, copper corrodes less, but silver and gold can hardly harm oxygen.
However, if a silver atom finds a reaction partner other than oxygen, things change. Hydrogen sulfide is such a substance. The compound is always present in traces in the air, but also in boiled eggs, which should not be eaten with a silver spoon if at all possible. In the presence of oxygen, hydrogen sulphide forms a compound with silver that is difficult to dissolve. Even when eating pea soup with a silver spoon, there is a risk that it will turn black and discolored. The subsequent silver cleaning is a laborious affair.
Even for chemists, it is not always easy to predict in which environment which substances will corrode particularly severely. The seemingly harmless milk can turn out to be extremely aggressive. It has already corroded many stainless steel pipes in dairies to the point of leaking, says Schlögl.
- What makes you use public transport
- What does vegan food actually mean?
- How does fashion attract us?
- Do all K1 visas require administrative processing
- Albert Einstein believed in fate
- How stressful can an underwriting job be
- What is the Greek word for strong?
- What is a digital oscilloscope
- Carpentry is the best business
- Microsoft Bing dies
- Are logic and reasoning independent
- What is the history of the Jews
- What are some great DIY wedding ideas
- Can Nike sneakers be washed?
- What is the best bridal wear
- Reindeer eating candy canes
- Wtf is a dirty word
- Why is a materialistic personality bad
- How much does an RF engineer earn
- How many hours do MBBS students have to study
- What are Chinese misunderstandings about Pakistan
- What is the function of the judiciary
- What is a ferrite number
- What is the treatment for young hypertension
- Can a freestyle be planned
- What is logo design
- Why is Hugo Boss clothing so expensive
- What Chinese dishes are loved around the world
- What do caffeine pills do
- What is an HR software system
- What is Paytm Digital Gold
- How expensive is food in South Korea
- What languages has English borrowed from