What does 1700 mean for hoop earrings
What is the story behind wearing earrings?
Earrings with gold and diamonds are without a doubt one of the best gifts for the modern woman. But when and in which cultures did people start wearing earrings? What has been the economic, political, and religious significance of earrings throughout history? If only one earring is worn, in the left ear or in the right ear?
Discover the extensive range of earrings from BAUNAT
A brief history of the earring
- Earrings made of gold, silver and bronze already existed in the Minoan culture (3000 - 1200 BC). They were worn to decorate the body. They are possibly even older, as mummies with pierced ears have been found from even earlier eras.
- in the middle Ages women often wore jewelry in their hair. The hairstyle covered the ears, making earrings superfluous were.
- In the 16th century, earrings became popular again, even in men. For example, William Shakespeare and Francis Drake often wore earrings. The earrings had a symbolic meaning for seafarers.
- In the 1960s let themselves also more and more women pierce ears again. This had been frowned upon for a while. From the sixties on earrings were also given additional meanings: With the hippies they were a sign of non-conformism, the blacks viewed them as a tribute to their roots, and for men they were an expression of their sexual orientation.
- Since the turn of the millennium, stud earrings have become more and more popular for women. Simple ear studs with diamonds have a clear advantage, especially in everyday life, they can be easily combined, and go with every outfit and every hairstyle.
The first earring wearers
The history of earrings goes back a long way. Up to 5000 years and much further.
Earrings in culture
Pirates with earrings
The fact that pirates wore gold earrings is not a legend, but a historical fact.
- What is the cure for autism
- How are the people in Finland
- Is schizoaffective still a diagnosis
- Wear a kilt cultural appropriation
- How can I have a dream tonight
- How is Canada
- Why did Turkey hate the Armenians?
- What makes Canada different from other countries
- Why do INTPs struggle with motivation
- Why does China want the Scarborough Shoal
- Why do some people disappear for no reason
- Is Australia a true friend of Indonesia
- Paranoid is a disease or disorder
- What is the heavenly realm
- What are the best biotech jobs
- What is flood insurance
- What is your assessment of Falun Gong
- What missed opportunities are still bothering you today
- Why does Messi only score tough goals
- What should we strive for in life
- What is Buddhist Meditation 1
- Which is bigger Alaska USA or Australia
- How expensive is Pattaya
- What is the difference between Dailogue and Konversation