How can we repair an air conditioner
Air conditioning defective / air conditioning not cooling? Possible causes simply and briefly explained!
- A functioning air conditioning not only offers comfort while driving, but also reduces the risk of accidents. Because on hot days it ensures that you literally keep a cool head and stay focused. In winter, on the other hand, it helps against excessive humidity in the car and windows misting up from the inside.
- If the air conditioning system does not provide sufficient cooling capacity and if the temperature in the vehicle does not drop at all or does not drop sufficiently despite the air conditioning system being switched on, this can have various causes. It is important that a final air conditioning service always takes place after working on the air conditioning system.
- What the the most common causes of air conditioning failure and the costs you have to reckon with you can find out in the following guide!
Vehicles from VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Volvo and Opel are affected by the diesel scandal. Check here until May 21, 2021 free of charge and without obligation, whether you are entitled to compensation - done in just 1 minute! * Now for a quick online check *
In order for the air conditioning circuit to function correctly, there must be a sufficient amount of refrigerant.
Since there is always a slight loss of refrigerant due to small leaks, for example, an air conditioning service must take place in the workshop every two to three years. Among other things, the missing refrigerant is topped up.
If this has not been done for several years, the loss of refrigerant can now be so great that the system no longer works correctly.
However, a defective hose or a defective seal can also ensure that refrigerant is permanently lost. Then the underlying cause must first be eliminated.
The costs for a complete air conditioning service vary depending on the refrigerant required. Depending on the vehicle, this is usually either the refrigerant R134a or R1234yf. You can find more information about air conditioning service and the costs involved in this guide.
Air conditioning condenser defective
The air conditioning condenser sits - like the radiator - at the front of the car and is responsible for releasing the heat absorbed by the refrigerant into the ambient air.
Among other things, due to stone chips, defects in the capacitor can occur. which lead to a loss of refrigerant and a restricted cooling capacity of the system.
A defective air conditioning condenser must be replaced with a new part. In addition, there are the costs for the air conditioning service, which vary greatly depending on the type and amount of refrigerant required.
You can find more information about the replacement and the costs involved in this guide to the air conditioning condenser.
|Material / service||estimated prices|
|Air conditioning condenser (new part)||100 to 400 euros|
|Workload (fictitious hourly rate: 100 euros)||200 to 400 euros|
|Air conditioning service||80 to 250 euros|
Air conditioning compressor defective
The air conditioning compressor (often also referred to as a refrigerant compressor or compressor) is a central component in the air conditioning circuit. Its job is to do that Compress refrigerant and let it circulate through the air conditioning circuit.
If it is defective or if it is no longer driven correctly, the air conditioning circuit no longer works and the air conditioning system fails. As a rule, the air conditioning compressor then has to be replaced. In addition, there are the costs for the air conditioning service, which vary greatly depending on the type and amount of refrigerant required.
You can find more information about the exchange and the costs involved in this guide.
|Material / service||estimated prices|
|Air conditioning compressor (new part)||300 to 750 euros|
|Workload (fictitious hourly rate: 100 euros)||150 to 300 euros|
|Air conditioning maintenance including refrigerant||80 to 250 euros|
TIP: Do not drive to a workshop before you have determined the current value of your vehicle. So you always know in advance exactly the cost up to which a repair is still worthwhile!
Simply use the following form from wirkaufendeinauto.de (100% free and non-binding).
Defective pressure switch
The pressure switch ensures, among other things, that the air conditioning compressor never runs without refrigerant and is thus damaged.
If it no longer works correctly, this can, for example, lead to the air conditioning compressor being switched off incorrectly. The air conditioning circuit then stands still and the air conditioning system no longer cools.
In addition to the costs for replacing the defective switch, there are also additional costs for the air conditioning service.
|Material costs pressure switch||50 to 150 euros|
|Labor costs (fictitious hourly rate: 100 euros)||50 to 100 euros|
Expansion valve / throttle defective
Depending on the type of air conditioning system, either an expansion valve or a (fixed) throttle regulates how much refrigerant gets into the evaporator.
Amongst other things due to age-related wear and tear or a blockage problems can arise here, so that the air conditioning circuit no longer functions correctly.
|material costs||120 to 400 euros||10 to 25 euros|
|Labor costs (fictitious hourly rate: 100 euros)||100 to 500 euros||50 to 100 euros|
Did you know that all modern cars (built around 2003 or later) have a very comprehensive fault memory that you can read out yourself? You can find suitable devices at Amazon *, for example.
Interior temperature sensor defective
The interior temperature sensor permanently records the temperature in the interior of the vehicle. On the basis of the values determined and in relation to the temperature selected on the control element, the climate control unit regulates the cooling capacity of the air conditioning system.
If the temperature sensor is defective, the control unit receives no or incorrect values. This ensures that the interior is not cooled as desired. To fix the problem, the sensor must be replaced with a new part.
|Material / service||estimated prices|
|Interior temperature sensor||40 to 80 euros|
|Workload (fictitious hourly rate: 100 euros)||50 to 150 euros|
New, consumer-friendly BGH judgments! Vehicles from VW, Skoda, Audi, Seat, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Porsche, Volvo and Opel are affected by the diesel scandal. Here you can check free of charge and without obligation whether you are entitled to compensation - done in just 1 minute! * Now for a quick online check *
Still unanswered questions?Do you have a vehicle-specific question? Do you doubt the correctness of an invoice? Many problems are very vehicle-specific and cannot be explained in general terms. Our goal is still very clear: We want to help you! We currently have two further options for this:
- Drivers & mechanics help
- Response time: around 3 days
- Certified automotive mechatronics technicians help
- Answer optionally within 24 hours
- guaranteed independent
- ideal as a second opinion
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
Did this article help you? If so, we look forward to your positive rating! With this you help us to make your-autoreparatur.de better known!
Now click on "5 stars" on the far right. Many Thanks!
(13 Rating (s), on average: 4,92 of 5)
- Which beliefs are more spiritual than religious
- How can I choose a wedding photographer
- Education is required to be successful in life
- How long did you stay in China
- Was Ghengis Khan Turkic
- Which professions give you more money
- What to do in Jordan
- Who said the Leviathan bends to the left
- Why is water important to Hinduism
- How do I get perfect sleep
- What is the main source in accounting
- What was the ethnicity of the Mughals
- Should I learn Hadoop or SSIS
- Denim jackets are trendy
- Chokers are bad
- Why are diamonds still so valuable
- What modifications are there for Formula 1 vehicles?
- What is the extrude command in AutoCAD
- What is the name of an Indian diamond
- How easy is oil painting
- Should I learn French in school
- How much does flooring cost
- Could Batman survive a threat like Thanos?
- Is the BDS difficult to study