How big is Groenland
Ten Facts About Greenland You May Not Know
According to historians, the first humans came around 2500 BC. To Greenland. The first group of immigrants apparently died out and various other groups followed who immigrated from North America. Norse peoples from Iceland settled the uninhabited south of Greenland in the early 10th century, but they disappeared in the late 15th century. The Inuit immigrated from Asia in the 13th century and their lineage continues to this day. Most Inuit Greenlanders are their direct descendants and still carry on some of the centuries-old traditions today.
"People have lived in Greenland for over 4,500 years."
5. The Inuit culture
Today 88% of the population of Greenland are Inuit (mostly Kalaallit) or of mixed origin (Danish and Inuit). The remaining 12% are of European descent, primarily Danish. It has to be said that the Greenlanders do not appreciate being called 'Eskimos'; the correct name for their people is Inuit or Kalaallit, which in the native language of the Inuit, the Kalaallisut, simply means 'Greenlanders'. Inuit Greenlanders identify very strongly with Inuit in other parts of the world, such as Canada and Alaska, and even their languages share some similarities.
6. A multilingual nation
Most of the Greenlandic population speaks both Greenlandic (mostly Kalaallisut) and Danish. The two languages have been used as official languages since the introduction of self-government in 1979. Today the young generation learns both languages and also English at school. The Greenlandic language is extremely interesting and has roots that go back a long way. It is also closely related to the Canadian Inuit languages, such as Inuktitut. The words “kayak” and “igloo” are Greenlandic words that were directly adopted in other languages.
7. NO ROADS
Although the country has an area of 2.16 million square kilometers, there are no roads or railways that connect individual cities and settlements. There are streets within cities, but they end on the outskirts. To get from one city to another, you only travel by plane, boat, helicopter, snowmobile or dog sled. The boat is clearly the most popular form of transport and in the summer you can often see the locals cruising around the fjords in their boats.
8. Whaling and fishing
Fishing is an important industry in Greenland. The country imports almost everything except fish, seafood and other animals hunted in Greenland such as whales and seals. Each administrative unit is assigned a certain quota for whales, seals and fish in order to avoid overfishing. Certain species such as the blue whale are under protection and are not allowed to be hunted. The whale and seal meat is not allowed to be exported - it is only consumed in the country.
9. A dynamic capital
Almost a quarter of the Greenlandic population lives in the capital Nuuk. The dynamic, curious city is the largest, most cosmopolitan city on the island and, for its relatively small size, has an astonishing number of museums, trendy cafes and fashion boutiques. To get familiar with the country, be sure to visit the Greenland National Museum, the Katuaq Culture House and the Nuuk Art Museum. As the city lies at the foot of an impressive mountain backdrop and at the mouth of a gigantic fjord system, day trips to the fjords and the surrounding nature are ideal.
10. Midnight sun
Every year between May 25th and July 25th, the sun never completely sets and can be seen all day and all night. The midnight sun, as it is then called, is an extraordinarily fascinating natural phenomenon that everyone should have experienced at least once in a lifetime. June 21st, the longest day of the year, is the summer solstice - a national holiday in Greenland. On this day you meet the locals enjoying the sun or organizing barbecues in the great outdoors.
- Is concrete biodegradable
- What is the poorest city in Canada
- Is it a free country?
- Why do boys manipulate girls
- What is Stripes sales
- 50 Reservation for women is justified
- How can I teach myself to code
- Has Eminem ever been shot
- Are the contactless cards really safe?
- How can I go to Splitsvilla
- What is the root word of special
- What are the best dresses for crossdressing
- What do you think of Narendra Modi
- Why would you kill a thief
- Where and why was denim created
- Which actors are narcissists?
- Why isn't the US bombing Israel?
- Why is Entity Framework so slow
- Why is death always seen as a punishment
- Who gave Daenerys the dragon eggs
- How do I remember ASL signs
- When were obstacles a blessing?
- What is special about Indian culture
- What is AMIE after a diploma