Where is Cebu located
Development of the population since the 1990 census.
Cebuano, which is predominant on the island of Cebu, is also called "Visayan" after the Visayas archipelago. The lingua franca in the Philippines is Tagalog; The official and business language is English. To prepare the children for the English language, lessons are held in English from the start. Due to the long rule of the Spanish for about three centuries, almost all dialects are interspersed with Spanish words. Some older Filipinos are still fluent in Spanish today.
The region was settled 25,000 years ago when the islands there were a more contiguous area. It was not until the end of the Ice Age around 10,000 - 12,000 years ago that the sea level rose so much that new islands were formed.
Around 1300 immigrants from Borneo brought Islam.
On April 7, 1521, Ferdinand Magellan landed on Cebu. He and his people intimidated the local tribal chiefs and Rajah Humabon, the king of Cebu, with the artillery fire of the expeditionary fleet and threats of war, and converted the Rajah and many of his followers to Christianity. Magellan burned a village that refused to Christianize.
In the period from 1565 to 1571, Cebu was considered the capital of the Spanish colony there. On May 8, 1565, the construction of the fortress Fuerza de San Pedro began. In the 17th century the wooden fortress was renewed with stone fortifications.
In Cebu City there is the Magellan's Cross, the place from which the Christian missionary work in the Philippines started, the fortress Fuerza de San Pedro, a Daoist temple and the Basilica del Santo Niño.
The nearby eastern island of Mactan is connected to Cebu City by two bridges and has numerous beaches. The circumnavigator Ferdinand Magellan found his death there. He was defeated there by the tribal chief of the island of Mactan, Lapu-Lapu, when the people of Mactan under Lapu-Lapu's leadership did not want to bow to the supremacy of the whites and the subordination of the Cebuan prince and Magellan therefore started a conquest expedition from Cebu next door to Mactan Island. At the point of his death near Punta Engano there is a monument to Ferdinand Magellan, the so-called “Magellan Marker”, as well as a statue of the victorious chief Lapu-Lapu in the “Mactan Shrine”. The Church of Patrocinio de Maria in Boljoon has been on the Philippines' list of proposals for inclusion as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO since 2006.
Lapu-Lapu is also the name of a town on the island of Mactan. Mactan is also home to the international airport for Cebu, the second busiest in the Philippines. A number of luxury hotels can be found on the northeast coast of Mactan.
In Moalboal on the southwest coast and on the offshore island of Malapascua in the north of Cebu there are beaches, resorts and diving centers of great tourist interest. Thresher sharks can be seen in Malapascua. Central Cebu National Park in the center of the island is home to many endemic animal species. Other national parks are the Guadalupe Mabugnao Mainit Hot Spring National Park and the Sudlon National Park. The Gilutongan Marine Sanctuary is located near Cebu City.
Aguinid Falls in Samboan (Samboan Waterfalls) and Mantayupan Waterfall.
The Ayala Mall in Cebu is one of the largest and most modern shopping centers in Cebu City. It houses a large number of shops with branded goods as well as restaurants with Asian and European dishes. In addition, it has a well-developed cinema and well-kept parks.
Rice, sugar and cereals are the traditional agricultural products of Cebu. Copper, gold, silver and molybdenum occur as mineral resources.
With high economic growth, Cebu City is one of the up-and-coming centers in Southeast Asia. Economic impulses come primarily from the IT sector and tourism. Special economic areas promote exports and, like the newly emerging IT parks, grant extensive tax exemption in order to attract foreign investors to the region. Foreign investments are mainly attracted by the wage cost advantages and the good level of education. The English language skills of large sections of the population are of particular importance, as a result of which Cebu is visited by many language students, mainly South Koreans. The main tourist flows come from the USA, Korea and Japan.
Near Naga, ten kilometers southwest of Cebu City, there is a large cement plant that belongs to the Mexican group (CEMEX).
Street scene, sari sari store
- ↑ Census May 1, 2010 (Memento from April 4, 2015 in Internet Archive), Total Cebu (excluding Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu City and Mandaue City), Cebu City, Lapu-Lapu City and Mandaue City
- ↑ Mactan-Cebu Airport (CEB)
- ↑Philippines: Administrative Division (Regions and Provinces) - Population Statistics, Charts and Map. Accessed May 31, 2018.
- ↑ abcHistory Cebu Philippines - Lapu-Lapu - Magellan's death
- ↑ Antonio Pigafetta (English translation: Stanley of Alderley): The First Voyage Round the World, by Magellan. London 1874, pp. 84-103.
- ↑ Travel way back to 1565: Fuerza de San Pedro
- Why are watches so popular
- What does character mean to you
- My colleague really likes me
- Why did you move
- Which penis size is considered to be above average
- Is Walhalla in Regensburg Germany
- What are some famous short speeches
- How can cricketers stand with protective goggles
- Does water react with the sulfuric acid
- Can someone become a researcher?
- What do Italians think of Nigerians?
- Henry Ford was a good businessman
- What's more in sociology
- Singaporeans are smart
- What is your assessment of Falun Gong
- Why do most Americans hate Canada
- How do you do online shopping today
- Does capitalism inherently destroy jobs?
- Which city is the best in Abuja
- What is a partnership
- The nerves supply the arteries
- Why are property prices falling in Vancouver
- How do you buy wedding rings
- Is life possible on Venus
- What's the most embarrassing moment in school
- Are there factory jobs in Australia
- How often should you enjoy yourself
- Which dwarf planet has the most moons?
- Are eggs beneficial for children?
- How heartbreaking was your breakup
- Why was Namboothiris rejected in Kerala
- Can we use Robo Sand for plastering
- Which countries have the death penalty
- How do you say villain in Tagalog