Where are pink diamonds found
A diamond in itself is something special - and an expensive pleasure. For the pink diamond "Pink Legacy", the new owner of the gemstone, which weighs 3.8 grams, had to shell out quite a bit of money.
At the Christie's auction in Geneva, the US luxury jeweler Harry Winston paid 39.1 million euros for the almost 19-carat stone, whose uniform color is considered exceptional by experts. It was said that only one in 100,000 diamonds was of this quality. That's why the starting price was a mere 21 million euros. This is the "Leonardo da Vinci of diamonds", announced the head of Christie's in Europe, François Curiel, full-bodied.
For a long time, the "Pink Legacy" belonged to the Oppenheimer family, who had a stake in the De Beers mining group - but sold the stake in 2011. By the 1990s, De Beers had dominated nearly 90 percent of the world's rough diamond trade.
The stone was discovered in South Africa more than a hundred years ago and processed in the 1920s. The new owner immediately renamed it "Winston Pink Legacy" after the auction. The total amount itself is not yet a record - however, 2.6 million euros per carat has never been paid. So a record after all, albeit a relative one. The internationally valid unit of measurement, carat, indicates the mass of precious stones. One carat is exactly 0.2 grams - a lot of money for the weight of three barley grains.
The high demand for extremely rare pieces like the one now auctioned has caused prices to rise sharply in recent years. In 2016, the tennis ball large and 813 carat rough diamond "The Constellation" changed hands for 55.2 million euros. The sale of the blue diamond "Oppenheimer Blue" two years ago for the equivalent of around 51 million euros also made headlines.
- What is the cause of sexism
- How can modern hippies be described?
- Is Donald Trump a Christian
- Can you ever find yourself traveling again?
- What about IOTA
- Where should refugees be settled in Canada?
- What do you understand when you are patriotic
- What do you think of Japanese
- What fashion designers create
- Which Bollywood actor has the best house
- How far are we from the cure of aging
- How are Americans treated in Germany
- Did Indians ever have white slaves
- What is the best solvent for gun cleaning
- When should seniors stop driving?
- Who is a better player Iniesta or Modric
- If America fails what will happen
- What percentage of US households own cats
- Why did Peter Gabriel leave Genesis
- How cold is Paris
- Homeowners insurance covers roof leaks
- What is life not worth living
- Which city is better Surat or Vadodara
- How is the internet connected