Is Walhalla in Regensburg Germany
The Walhalla in Regensburg
Home> Federal states> Bavaria> The Walhalla in Regensburg
The Walhalla memorial towers high above the banks of the Danube near Regensburg, mighty and sublime. Thanks to King Ludwig I, "important personalities with a German tongue" are honored in this temple, built in perfect Greek style ...
The first impression is wrong: what you can see in a photo is not the wonderful Parthenon temple on the Athens Acropolis, but the Walhalla over the Danube bank near Regensburg. The similarities are astonishing and quite intentional: when building this monument, architect Leo von Klenze was inspired by the ancient model and, with the Walhalla, put a truly impressive marble structure in the landscape: 125 meters long, 55 meters high.
The client was King Ludwig I. No gods are worshiped in the temple, which was opened in 1842, but some of the most famous Germans at all, from Albrecht Dürer to Sophie Scholl. They are represented in the form of marble busts and memorial plaques. Striking: of the 131 busts and 65 memorial plaques in the collection, only 13 exhibits are dedicated to women. But that can still change. Recommendation on our part: Go up the 479 steps to the Walhalla before the sun settles down: We normal mortals can hardly imagine a more sublime sunset.
By the way, you can find tips on how to travel comfortably and cheaply on long-distance and local Deutsche Bahn services here.
Easily to the Walhalla by train and bus.
Plan your journey
More articles from Bavaria
You want to go already?
Follow us on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for the best tips for your vacation in Germany.
Don't miss anything from Germany
Sign up now.
Yes, I would like to receive the Discover Germany newsletter with tips, reports and competitions about vacationing in my own country. We provide information on revocation, data processing and performance measurement in our data protection declaration.
- Fluorescence in diamonds is a good thing
- What does 916 stamp on gold mean
- Which factors improve welding skills?
- Why do Samoans have black skin
- Why is Ravish Kumar always against BJP
- Are rhinestones sticky on clothes?
- When will BSNL 4G start?
- What is the English Language in Nigeria
- What mineral deficiencies would lead to dizziness
- Why do Marwari women expose themselves
- What does 14k RCI
- A scalar quantity can be negative
- Which airlines make booking flight reservations easy?
- Will Britain survive Brexit?
- What is freedom from ourselves
- Can UI developer learn Hadoop
- What is North America's geopolitics
- What is the UK Government's Brexit Policy
- How difficult is it to go abroad for an MBA?
- Which state has the lowest crime rate?
- Which is better architecture or technology
- How do Australians feel about the British?
- Why don't Formula 1 cars have airbags?
- Have you bought Zomato Gold?