Who are the laboratories that make diamonds
Artificially made: They grew the largest diamond in the world
Matthias Schreck loves the constant. He has been working at the University of Augsburg for 26 years. He helped set up the laboratories at the Chair of Experimental Physics, at that time scrambled over the roof to lay exhaust ducts, and built dark laboratories for optical experiments.
Other colleagues came and went, but the shock remained. Even with one topic, a single one. He has carried out around 25 research projects on this, he is a bit surprised that almost all of them were always approved, but above all he is grateful. He wanted something that stayed relevant, not a hip research topic that gave way to another after four or eight years of funding.
Now, after a quarter of a century, Schreck and two colleagues have finally succeeded in what they have been working on for so long. In their laboratory in Augsburg, the physicists have grown the world's largest diamond: 9.2 centimeters in diameter, a flat, shimmering disc, 155 carats. This gem, Schreck knew, would open up a whole new world.
Industry can do well with laboratory diamonds
Growing diamonds in the laboratory is hard work. That this is possible was shown for the first time in the early 1950s by researchers who simulated the conditions under which the gemstones were created in nature in the laboratory. Real diamonds grow in the earth at a depth of over 100 kilometers, at temperatures around 1500 degrees Celsius and under enormous pressure.
The scientists simulated all of this in the laboratory. And so, from carbon in the form of graphite, the material from which pencil leads are made, small crystals of diamond were created in the hydraulic press within several weeks. Synthetic diamonds like these already had a great advantage back then: unlike their natural counterparts, they were not found by chance or at great expense in former volcanic vents or washed out of them in rivers. And that's why you can count on laboratory diamonds when you need them.
- What are the jobs in SSC
- Are there Indian lesbians
- Where do you live in India
- What do great expectations relate to?
- Should date middle school students
- What are beauty standards in England
- What is "personal guidance" for you
- Is there a subway to Staten Island
- Which Caucasian country is best to visit
- Which avenger is the oldest
- I can dream clearly during the day
- How accurate is the movie Top Gun
- Which RO membrane is the best
- What is the meaning of your own life
- Could diamonds possibly be found on Mars?
- What is different between socialism capitalism fascism
- How often do you masturbate
- What are some uses of antivirus software
- Why do parents punish us
- Why is our society becoming more narcissistic
- Who is sorry for the Iraq war?
- How reliable are the Indian aircraft carriers
- How can I buy Apple shares
- Will Thailand ever become a stable democracy?
- Are Kurds seen as white
- Whites came from Great Britain
- Do you often dream
- What do you think of gold jewelry
- Anyone who is ready for the Surat Quora meeting
- Which gemstones have the highest resale value?
- What's your rating of Alexander McQueen
- Is Toronto easy to immigrate to
- Well worth the DJI Spark
- Who has turned gray hair of course?