How do I clean my silver jewelry
How to clean silver jewelry: 10 simple tricks
It is well known that silver jewelery can become unattractive in color. Very few people know that the dark discoloration is silver sulfide. Sounds worse than it is. In the VALMANO 10 series, we show you ten simple tricks with which you can finally move the dark shadow over your skin and clean your silver jewelry.
1. Clean silver jewelry with water, salt and foil
Water, salt and aluminum foil can be found in every household. Heat a liter of water and dissolve a few tablespoons of salt in it. Now put in the silver jewelry and some aluminum foil. After about two minutes, you can already see how the discoloration is reduced. This is also based on a chemical reaction in which hydrogen sulphide is released and the silver sulphide becomes silver again.
In the event of severe discoloration, a second bath may be necessary, as the chemical reaction comes to a standstill after a short time and the cleaning effect is limited. In this way you can also clean stubborn discoloration on your silver jewelry.
2. CLEANING THE SILVER JEWELRY: Water bath and washing-up liquid
A simple method of cleaning is a water bath with a little washing-up liquid. Here the jewelry is dipped in and then carefully cleaned with a soft toothbrush.
Then rinse the jewelry under clear water and dry with a soft cloth. Slight discoloration should now be gone.
3. Cleaning with the silver cleaning cloth
A silver cleaning cloth is inexpensive and available in drug stores.
If the pieces of jewelry are polished with it, they shine in a new shine. However, often not all areas can be reached with a cloth.
4. Let sound waves work for you
Ultrasonic cleaning is more effective: An ultrasonic device is also available in stores, is filled with water and the silver jewelry is placed in it. The sound waves even reach hard-to-reach places and discoloration disappears.
5. Buy jewelry cleaner
An alternative would be a liquid jewelry cleaner for silver.
However, this usually contains chemicals that not everyone in the household wants to deal with.
6. Keep your silver jewelry airtight
To prevent your silver chains or rings from tarnishing, silver should be stored dry and as airtight as possible - for example in a sealable plastic bag.
If you add a piece of chalk or aluminum foil here, this also counteracts the reaction. As a rule, however, discoloration cannot be completely avoided.
7. Make use of toothpaste
Instead of cleaning the silver jewelry with water and washing-up liquid, toothpaste can also be used. It is applied sparingly with a brush, after a short time rinsed off with water and the jewelry is dried with a cloth.
8. Take cleaning tabs for braces
Alternatively, cleaning tabs are suitable for braces: after dissolving them in warm water, the pieces of jewelry are put in and after a few hours they are also dried with a soft cloth.
9. Dissolve baking soda in water
Baking soda is another effective way to clean up silver. The baking powder is dissolved in a small bowl of water and the silver jewelry is placed in it. Then use a soft toothbrush to loosen dark areas in cracks and pores.
10. Drizzle lemon juice on your silver
Last but not least, you can put your silver jewelry in a bowl, put some salt on it and then drizzle lemon juice over it. Again, a soft toothbrush is suitable for cleaning. After rinsing and polishing, the silver regains its shine.
Silver is actually too soft for jewelry
So, that's it, the ten tips.The question now arises as to why this strange silver sulfide forms in the first place.
This is mainly due to the fact that pure silver would simply be too soft to exist as jewelry or cutlery, for example. The resulting alloy only becomes significantly harder when it is fused with copper. Decisive disadvantage: copper is vulnerable. Hydrogen sulfide attacks the metal. The result: At room temperature, the silver sulfide produced gradually discolors the surface yellowish, then brown to black.
- How to buy Roxicodone online
- What are the challenges of the e-insurance business
- What is the cheapest Air Jordan shoe
- Do Mexicans have an accent
- What Are Some Careers In Biomedical Science
- What are the best courses in France
- Is intelligence possible without language
- What is backward thrust in an airplane
- Who is Justine Musk
- Who created the American sign language
- What's your best moment in a relationship
- What do we feel in meditation
- What are the international flight routes
- Why are watches so popular
- What is the best bathroom remodeling faucet
- How big is Groenland
- Why Are Americans So Tense About Nudity?
- How are phonetics and phonology related?
- How does a mechanical mouse work
- What is another term for steady state
- What kind of profit is Facebook generating
- Why it feels good to hug someone who is special
- How to Buy Antique Brass Statues
- How does an ultrasound detect Hashimoto's disease