When will the EU join the US?
Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office
Historically close economic and social cooperation
The connection between the European Union and the United States of America has historical roots: the US decision not to withdraw from Europe in 1945, as it did after the end of the First World War, provided an element of stability and security in times of the Cold War. This made it possible to tackle the project of European unification. Thus, the growing together of Europe after the Second World War was both a historic achievement by Europeans and a success of far-sighted American foreign policy.
Economically, North America and the EU are the most closely intertwined regions in the world. Transatlantic trade and mutual investment create growth and jobs in the EU and the US. In 2019, the US was the largest buyer of goods from the EU and the second largest exporter of goods to the EU. In 2019, the EU exported goods worth 384 billion euros to the USA and imported goods from there worth 232 billion euros (Eurostat). Americans invested three times as much in the EU as in all of Asia. EU citizens invested eight times as much in the US as in China and India combined (source: Eurostat).
The EU is central to pooling the interests of Germany and its European partners, for example in the trade sector. With just over 10 percent of the world's population, the EU and the USA generate around 46 percent of the world's gross national product, are responsible for around a third of global trade and a third of all patent applications. They account for 60 percent of global direct investment.
Canada and its society are also deeply connected to European traditions because of history. The political, economic and cultural cooperation with the European states and institutions is very close. A "Strategic Partnership Agreement" has served since 2016 to deepen cooperation between the EU and Canada, in particular on the issues of international peace and security policy, global governance, energy, research and development, the environment and climate change.
EU-Canadian trade has been regulated by the CETA joint trade agreement since 2018. This led to an increase in trading volume of 4.5 percent in 2019.
Canada supports EU Common Security and Defense Policy missions in Ukraine, Kosovo, Mali, Iraq and Palestine.
- What are tribal peoples
- Why do people support Zionism
- What rhymes with music
- How do non-profit organizations receive emails
- What makes a creative person an artist
- When did Obama stop being a Muslim?
- What is the penalty in IPC 144
- How should countries deal with illegal immigrants
- Should I stop using face washes?
- How can I have a dream tonight
- What rank is above the president
- What are the advantages of studying?
- What is the formula of Koenigswasser
- Can a Muslim ever lead the United States?
- Is it ever worth violent revolutions to achieve communism?
- What is the greatest gift to man
- How are freelancers paid for Upwork
- Who is the current governor of Tennessee
- Should I move to Saint Petersburg FL
- Who ruled India before Mughal
- What are some Chinese New Year traditions
- How can I romantically understand an INFP
- What is gold trading
- Walking reduces anxiety