Is spelled spelled or spelled out
As Spell is the process of naming the individual letters of a word one after the other. People spell when they want to tell themselves the correct spelling of a word or phrase. Usually the letter is named after the letter name (C ~ Ce, F ~ Eff, J ~ Jot). The method is prone to errors, however, as sounds can be overheard. That is why there are so-called spelling tables that define a word for each letter.
During a dictation or a one-to-one conversation such a spelling board is of course obsolete. It is useful, however, if you are spelling over the phone or some other radio connection that is prone to interference. Therefore it is only logical that the terms Spelling alphabet, Telephone alphabet, Radio alphabet as Aviator alphabet used synonymously with spelling tablet.
The history of the German spelling boards goes back to the Berlin telephone directory from 1890. At that time, numbers were assigned to the individual letters of the alphabet, which corresponded to the position in the alphabet. The A. is the first letter and therefore had the one, the B. the Two etc.
The word Hello would look like this: Eight one twelve twelve fifteen. Soon, however, words were used for the letters because they were much easier to memorize. That, of course, corresponded better to the sense of interference-free transmission. Various systems developed in the process.
Spelling boards for spelling
The following overview is based on the current standard. In Germany, DIN 5009 lays down the rules for dictation that is easy to write, in Austria it is ÖNORM A 1081, whereby the ICAO / NATO alphabet was defined by NATO itself.
|character||Germany||Switzerland||Austria||ITU / ICAO / NATO|
|Letters (Consonants, vowels, umlauts)|
|N||North Pole||Niklaus||North Pole||November|
|Q||source||So to say||source||Quebec|
|numbers (only according to ITU / ICAO / NATO)|
Number, designation, pronunciation
 There are also deviations from the DIN standard Siegfried and Zeppelin second hand.
 There are also deviations from the Ö-Norm Christine, Norbert and Zeppelin common.
 Nevertheless, it is predominantly in Austria John second hand.
Spell with the names of the letters
The above spelling boards are primarily suitable for spelling on the phone. The common practice in conversation or dictation, however, is spelling using the names of the individual letters. In German, the letters are designated as follows.
The following overview names the German capital letters and lowercase letters in descending order, the pronunciation according to the International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA), the spelling of the pronunciation and the spelling, as it can be found in the common dictionaries (fat).
|Capital letter||Lowercase letter||IPA||Spellings|
|Ä||Ä||[ɛː]||Uh, Ä; also A umlaut|
|B.||b||[beː]||Beh, Bee, Be|
|C.||c||[tseː]||Ceh, Cee, Ce|
|D.||d||[deː]||Deh, Dee, De|
|E.||e||[eː]||Eh, Ee, E|
|G||G||[geː]||Go Gee, Ge|
|Ö||ö||[O]||Öh, Ö; also O-umlaut|
|P||p||[peː]||Peh, pee, pe|
|ẞ||ß||[ɛs’t͡sɛt]||Esszett, Eszett, Esszet, Eszet, also spicy S|
|T||t||[teː]||Teh, tea, Te|
|Ü||ü||[yː]||Üh, Ü; also U-umlaut|
|W.||w||[veː]||Weh, Wee, We|
- Spelling means that a word or phrase is spoken letter by letter. This is usually done using the letter name, but can also be done with so-called spelling tables for better understanding.
- Spelling boards are primarily intended for spelling via radio and are therefore used in telephony, but also in the military. The individual letters are replaced by words. There are different spelling boards.
- The background is that the words can be better understood. Since the words that are used for spelling usually consist of several syllables, the probability of a successful transmission is higher, since interference noises only slightly affect the spelling and are hardly significant.
- What does 1700 mean for hoop earrings
- Am I an INTJ or an ENTJ
- Why do people have expectations of me
- What is an uncut diamond jewelry
- Homeowners insurance covers roof leaks
- When did the FDR complete its first term of office?
- Men are flat
- Why are my parents so strict
- Can trans people give birth
- Which technologies support B2B payments
- What people work for law enforcement
- Will Africans die out in South Africa?
- How far are we from the cure of aging
- Indians respect India
- Why do elements have hybrid orbitals
- How do you swim long distance freestyle
- Can you make me look younger
- Should I invest in IOTA or Cardano?
- The nerves supply the arteries
- How fast should a startup IPO
- What is becoming more popular
- What counts as a threatening SMS
- What are the cons of using Angular
- What is Justin Bieber's IQ