How Filipinos celebrate weddings

How do you marry a Filipina


Getting married in the Philippines

If you want to get married in the Philippines, the groom needs the following papers:

  • passport
  • International Certificate of Descent (not to be confused with the birth certificate!)
  • Registration confirmation
  • Extract from the family register
  • Certificate of marital status
  • Parents consent / advice (if under 26 years old)
  • Divorce Decree (Certified Copy) (If Divorced)
  • Death certificate of the former partner (if widowed)

The first two documents must of course be translated into English and legalized. You can get the German papers from the registration office (place of birth and current place of residence), as well as from the registry office (certificate of marital status). Unfortunately, to issue this paper, the registry office needs the same papers from the bride that she would need for a normal marriage in Germany (originals and certified). These papers are also sent to the responsible OLG, duration approx. 2 weeks, typically a review of the papers is then requested by the German embassy in Manila, duration 3-6 months, costs meanwhile almost 12,000 Pesos) You go to the German embassy in Manila with the certificate of marriageability, they then issue the English document: "Certificate of Legal Capacity to Contract Marriage", costs the equivalent of Euro 20 in pesos, and is valid for 120 days. You also need two copies of your passport.

If you are planning to get married in church, you will also need:

  • Baptism certificate
  • Confirmation certificate
  • Certificate of unmarried status (from the registration authority)
  • Single certificate from the pastor (Free for Marriage)

This document can be obtained from the pastor, with the exception of the certificate of unmarried status. If the bridegroom is Protestant and is to be married in a Catholic Church, you also need a "Dissmissoria". This paper allows you to get married in a Catholic Church. This is also available from the pastor. All of these papers must not be older than three months. These must also be translated into English. In the event that the bride is Protestant (unlikely, but possible), but the groom is Catholic, you should clarify with the pastor that the children will be brought up in the Catholic faith. Otherwise there will be problems again. There is no form in Germany for the priest's certificate of unmarried status, so an informal document is sufficient. But it should be headed "Free for Marriage" in large letters. This document is not required everywhere, so it is better to clarify with the pastor in the Philippines beforehand!

The bride needs:

  • Birth certificate (certified)
  • Certificate of unmarried status (certified)
  • Copies of passport
  • Statutory declaration: Parental Consent (If age 18-20)
  • Affidavit: Parental Advice (If age 21-25)

The procedure:

You need the "Marriage License", the license to get married. You can get this either from the mayor or the pastor. You will also have to attend a two-day seminar where the pastor will teach you how to produce many small mixed Filipinos or Filipinas. :-). In addition, the list will be posted for 4 weeks, so take some time with you. For the registry office it is sufficient if you are registered 10 days in advance. For the registration itself it takes another 2 days. You also have to take into account that there is no work on the weekend, but the weddings usually take place on the weekend. So this time also has to be taken into account. For the actual ceremony, please read the book "Culture Shock Philippines" or the corresponding book in German (see our homepage!), Here the rules of a Filipino wedding are described in detail.

Another Note: If the wedding is not to take place in the woman's place of residence (because the church is too small), one can also get married in another church. This has to be approved by the bishop, but it should work. In the worst case, the bride simply has to move quickly! In any case, the wedding will be announced in both churches (for four weeks, of course only if no move has been made!). You can then pick up the wedding band in both churches!

Filipino weddings, especially in church, are a huge celebration. For this purpose, some companies and organizations have been set up that offer corresponding services. I have put together those that are present on the Internet here.

Legal notice:

Getting married in the Philippines means getting married under Filipino law. This is the , which means that the assets of both spouses automatically belong to both of them after the marriage. If a different matrimonial property regime is desired, it is strongly recommended to conclude a marriage contract beforehand. To do this, you should first get advice from an experienced lawyer, and then sign up before a Filipino lawyer or notary. If legal validity for the German legal area is desired, the contract should be concluded in front of the German embassy. In order for the contract to be legally effective in the Philippines, it is necessary that the contract is entered in both the local civil register and the property register. Furthermore, this contract should be documented in the marriage certificate.

After the wedding:

The marriage certificate must be certified at the mayor's office. In addition, this paper must also be certified at the main registry office in Manila.

For more information, see the next page.