Why did Vasco da Gama travel
Vasco da Gama
As well-known and famous as Vasco da Gama is for discovering the sea route to India, his profile shows - as with many other explorers and seafarers of the time - large gaps and blank spots. Little is known, especially about his youth ...
Vasco da Gama was born in Sines, a seaport in southern Portugal.
The next 30 years ...
He was educated in Evora, studied astronomy and navigation and later gained experience as a sailor and soldier.
Vasco da Gama achieved the rank of naval officer in the service of John II of Portugal.
July 8: Vasco da Gama is named by King Emanuel I to head the Portuguese expedition to India and sets off on a voyage of discovery with four caravels.
November 22nd: Circumnavigation of the Cape of Good Hope.
May 20: Vasco da Gama reaches the Indian Malabar coast and anchors in Kalikut. The sea route to India has been found. August 29th: Departure from Kalikut for Portugal.
July 10th: The first ship of the expedition under the captain Nicolas Coelho arrives in the home port of Lisbon.
September 9th: Three months after the “Berrio”, da Gama also reached Lisbon and was received triumphantly. King Emanuel I appointed him Count of Vidigueira and Admiral of the Indian Seas.
Second Portuguese expedition to India. Vasco da Gama refuses to lead the expedition. In his place the fleet drives under Pedro Alvares Cabral and discovers Brazil among others on this trip.
Vasco da Gama's second trip to the Indian Ocean. Arrived on the Malabar coast, he tries to consolidate the power of Portugal with his huge navy. This also leads to the bombardment and destruction of Kalikut.
Return to Portugal. For his achievements he is rewarded by King Emanuel I with titles, lands and gifts of money.
The next 20 years ...
Vasco da Gama lives relatively secluded on his property.
April: Vasco da Gama is named Viceroy of Portuguese India and travels again to the Indian Ocean.
December 24th: da Gama dies in India while fighting an enemy governor and is buried in a Franciscan church in Cochin.
June 26, 2001
- What is electronic telecommunication technology
- When will India's GDP beat the US?
- How did the Nazis see religion?
- How many fish die per day
- How are INTJs seen by others
- What are the benefits of having two hearts
- What were your best realistic role-playing games
- How are military operations handled
- Can we end capitalism?
- Most women are 100 straight
- Where was China divided?
- How did the US benefit from NAFTA
- What do you mean by transition current
- What are web apps and native apps
- Costs more platinum or diamond
- Is Fernando Alonso related to Xabi
- Is there a European privilege in New Zealand?
- Gakhar is a big caste in Pakistan
- Which is better SSC or SSB
- Why did the Warsaw Uprising of 1944 fail?
- How air comes to earth
- What muscles are created in the deadlift
- 925 Italy is real silver
- When will Europe become more like America?