Would you like to work in Beijing

Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office

Application and extension of Chinese visas

The issuing and renewal of Chinese visas are subject to Chinese law of residence. Only the Chinese authority responsible for the individual case can issue or extend Chinese visas or provide information on the procedure. The requirements for the granting or renewal can change at any time and depend on the individual case. You should therefore contact the responsible Chinese authority in good time.

Entry visas

According to the information available here, entry into the PRC is only possible with a valid visa. The visa must be obtained from the Chinese consulate responsible for your place of residence before entering the country.

Information on Chinese entry visas and the Chinese diplomatic missions in Germany can be found on the Chinese website Embassy in Berlin or at Chinese Visa Application Service Center.

Visa extension

Since July 1, 2013, new Chinese regulations on the entry and residence of foreigners have been in effect. You will find the most important information in our leaflet.

When extending a Chinese visa in China, please contact the entry and exit office of the Public Security Bureau (PSB - Entry & Exit Department) responsible for your whereabouts. Here you will find the addresses of the most important public security bureaus in China.

The German diplomatic missions abroad cannot provide any binding information on the Chinese entry and residence requirements.

Compulsory social security for foreign workers in China

The new social security law has been in force in China since July 2011. This means that for the first time there is a nationwide binding legal framework for pension, health, industrial accident, unemployed and maternity insurance. According to Art. 97 of the law, foreigners employed in China are also liable to pay contributions to the Chinese social security.

The responsible Ministry for Personnel and Social Security issued "Provisional Regulations" with effect from October 15, 2011. The details of the actual implementation, however, depend on the practice of the relevant local authorities.

According to the social security agreement applicable between Germany and China, employees who are temporarily employed in China by their employers based in Germany are exempt from the obligation to contribute to pension and unemployment insurance in China under the conditions specified there. In these cases, too, there is an obligation to contribute to health, occupational accident and maternity insurance.

Information on the further application of the German legal provisions for temporary employment in China can be found in the information sheet “Working in China” published by the National Association of Statutory Health Insurance Funds, German Liaison Office for Health Insurance - Abroad (DVKA) in Bonn.


The AHK in Beijing can also provide more information on questions relating to the compulsory insurance of German employees in China: [email protected]

Online job market of the AHK

The DE Job Market of the Chambers of Commerce Abroad in Greater China is the largest German-Chinese job portal of its kind. The online platform brings together potential employees with a German professional background and employers in Greater China. Use this interactive tool to help you find a job successfully.

Federal Office for Emigrants and Foreign Workers

Would you like to emigrate to China temporarily or permanently? The Federal Office for Emigrants and Foreign Workers of the Federal Office of Administration provides you with information on the most frequently asked questions about living and working abroad.

Recognition of foreign (German) educational qualifications in China

In China there is only one central body that is allowed to assess foreign school-leaving qualifications for all Chinese institutions. this is that Chinese Service Center for ScholarlyExchange.

The recognition procedure is subject to a fee. It is advisable to first clarify with the potential employer in China whether such a recognition procedure has to be carried out or whether, if necessary. the submission of a translation or the original German document with a legalization note from the responsible Chinese diplomatic mission in Germany is sufficient.