When should I stay home from school?

Are employees allowed to stay at home when daycare centers and schools are closed and they cannot find other childcare?

Those who have to look after their children due to the current situation because schools and daycare centers are closed and therefore cannot work, often suffer a loss of earnings. The parents concerned can now receive compensation under certain conditions.

According to the Federal Ministry of the Interior, these requirements must be met:

  • "The child's care facility or school was closed by order of the authorities.
  • There are no public holidays or vacations of the school or the care facility during the care period during which the facilities would have been closed anyway.
  • The child has not yet reached the age of 12 or needs special help (e.g. due to a disability).
  • There was no possibility of providing alternative, reasonable care for the child (for example by older siblings or emergency care in the school or care facility).
  • The application for compensation must be submitted within 12 months after the end of the closure or the prohibition of entering the school or care facility. "

If all the conditions are met, the compensation will be granted to the amount of 67 percent of the net income - for a period of up to ten weeks with joint care and up to 20 weeks with sole care. It is capped at the maximum monthly amount of 2,016 euros.

The employer pays the compensation. He can have it reimbursed by the competent authority. Which it is is determined by the countries.

Application and further information

Further information on compensation, the requirements and the applications can be found on the "Compensation under the Infection Protection Act" page of the Federal Ministry of the Interior.