Can feces be tested for DNA
Rapid DNA test identifies sources of water pollution
Vienna - When bodies of water are polluted, time is of the essence: the more effectively the source of the pollution can be identified, the more effective the countermeasures. An Austrian research team has now developed a new rapid DNA test method with which agricultural water pollution from ruminant faeces can be detected quickly and cheaply. As the scientists report in "Scientific Reports", the procedure is as straightforward as a pregnancy test.
So far, one has been dependent on lengthy and expensive methods in which samples had to be taken and then sent to a laboratory, report the researchers led by Georg Reischer from the Technical University (TU) Vienna. The new approach that the TU researchers developed together with colleagues from the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (Boku) is not based on the overall analysis of the DNA in the water.
Tell-tale gut bacteria
"Certain bacteria are only found in the feces of very specific animal species. If you examine samples for DNA sections of these bacteria, you can therefore tell exactly from which organism the contamination originates," says Reischer. The new test specifically searches for sections of the genome of typical intestinal inhabitants of ruminants, which can accordingly also be found in their legacies.
The method can also be used in other contexts, said Reischer: "Basically, this technology can be applied to a wide variety of bacteria and viruses, but we are currently concentrating on the detection of dangerous germs in water, because this is a particularly widespread problem."
Over several years of work, the researchers developed their method that can also be used by people without biotechnological expertise. Similar to a pregnancy test, a simple test strip can be used to prove it. After the upcoming development of a measuring device prototype, for which the team is still looking for an industrial partner, the scientists want to offer the device for a few hundred euros. (red, APA, February 4, 2019)
- Smart people are patriotic
- How much do Americans know about Russia?
- What do Pakistani Hindus think of India?
- What makes someone lose morale?
- What is the most accurate political compass
- Can I use Indian rupees in Thailand
- How expensive are Super Bowl rings
- Why aren't good people great
- How is America affecting Canada?
- What is the scope in architecture
- Is Manchester United too weak in midfield
- Is the two-nation theory valid?
- How much soy does India export
- How can I gain self-respect
- Do you like the month of march
- What is reverse anti-Semitism
- When will Russia finally respect the West?
- How should people choose their vacation destination
- What kind of person is considered left
- May British Nations be in Britain
- What are the precious metals besides gold
- Why do we need Visa and MasterCard
- Ages Captain Marvel
- Who is Miyamoto Musashi
- Most independent countries are actually independent
- Why should someone choose structural engineering
- What do ego and attitude mean
- What if humans had cat-like fur?
- Can lava melt a diamond
- What foods produce hormones
- What are the benefits of science
- How many dealers use Square
- How do priests control their sexual urges
- What is the number of the non-emergency police